Date:      Fri, 07 Aug 1998 18:17:16 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS extended partitions and "slices"

At 12:24 PM 8/6/98 -0700, Doug White wrote:

At 12:24 PM 8/6/98 -0700, you wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Brett Glass wrote:
>
>> Just mounted a DOS/Windows hard disk on a system running FreeBSD 2.2.7, but
>> with some difficulty. Why? Because the scheme for assigning names and
>> numbers to the slices was very odd, and some of the needed nodes in /dev
>> just weren't there.
>>
>> The C: partition of the disk came out as wd1s1, which seems reasonable. But
>> D: didn't come out at wd1s2. Instead, it came out at wd1s5. (I couldn't
>> make 2-4 do anything). And successive logical drives came out at 6, 7, 8,
>> etc. While the error messages from the mount command showed that it
>> considered the partitions to be numbered as wd1s<n> (where n went up to
>> 12), they couldn't be mounted until I used /dev/MAKEDEV to create a device
>> node for each one.
>
>This is fully normal.  Extended partitions get mapped to extra slice
>numbers since one extended partition can have multiple logical disks.
>wd1s2 is the extended partition itself, which isn't that useful.

But.... Waitaminnit. If you have an extended DOS partition with some
number of logical DOS drives within it, you should REALLY see:

C: wd1s1
Extended DOS partition: wd1s2
  D: wd1s2a
  E: wd1s2b
  F: wd1s2c
Third partition (FreeBSD, Linux, whatever): wd1s3
Fourth partition: wd1s4

This would be consistent with the actual structure. The logical DOS drives
lie WITHIN the extended partition, which is one of the four possible
partitions, or slices.

--Brett