Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:54:55 +0100
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portrookies for early adopters

Dirk Meyer wrote:

> Hallo Oliver Eikemeier,
>
>>- you are already a FreeBSD committer and want to
>>  - test an experimental port until it stabilizes
>>  - find some interesting ports to commit
>>  - want to do joint work with non-committers
>>- you like to live on the edge and test the latest ports
>
> If you like me to add my "extra ports" to this project ...
> http://www.dinoex.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports/
Done, welcome Dirk! Some rules of portrookies:

Don't use the pserver checkout method, use

  cd /usr/ports; cvs -z3 -d:ext:dinoex@cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/portrookies co rookies

before adding a port, TEST IT:

cd /usr/ports/rookies/<portname>; portlint -A
cd /usr/ports/rookies; make checksubdir
cd /usr/ports; make index

add the port:

cd /usr/ports/rookies
cvs add `find <portname> -name CVS -prune -o -type f -print`
cvs commit Makefile <portname>

don't cvs import ports.

Sorry, standard disclaimer.

All rookies are required to have a PKGNAMEPREFIX that starts with `rookie-',
so perl modules must have `rookie-p5-'. Otherwise FreeBSD rules apply.

>>  fetch http://portrookies.sf.net/categories.patch
>>  patch -p0 -d /usr/ports < categories.patch
>
> This patch might not be needed,
Otherwise Categorie rookie would be illegal.

> I use /usr/ports/current/<portname>
I had to make up *some* name, and portcurrent?

> i just create a "Makefile.local" in each port:
> PKGCATEGORY?=   current
> PKGNAMESUFFIX?= -current
>
> and everything works fine!
bsd.port.mk shouldn't like you CATEGORY. I chose PKGNAMEPREFIX,
because it's easier to find in pkg_info.

> you may add: dinoex@sourceforge.net!

Welcome again. Current population: 2.
I hope I didn't mess up the permissions, I'm not a SF.net wizard.

Oliver