Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:42:01 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <myevmenk@exodus.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   options GEOM and NODEVFS

Dear Hackers,

this weekend i have updated my laptop to recent -current. after
booting it with my kernel i got few messages saying something
like

/dev/ad0s[a-e]: Device not configured

and then system dropped to /bin/sh. so i booted GENERIC kernel
and it was working fine. i took a close look on my kernel config
and figure out that

options NODEVFS

seems the reason for these errors. after removing NODEVFS,
recompiling and rebooting my kernel seems to work fine.

the question is: are options GEOM and NODEVS compatible?

thanks,
max

p.s. sorry if this is a FAQ. man geom(4) and quick grep
     in /sys/conf and /sys/i386/conf came up with nothing.

p.p.s. i need NODEVFS to run vmware2 (/dev/rtc is not
       DEVFS friendly).