Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 08:30:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@dvals1.larc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (Hackers FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

> Amancio Hasty Jr. stands accused of saying:
> > This brings about another interesting point what are people doing
> > with FreeBSD besides kernel hacking or system related work?

 Well.....

 I use one at work as anb amanda server for SGI and Sun Machines. I also
use it for telecommuting from home. ( and it is great at that. )

 At home I have lots of uses:

 - I am working to duplicate Amancio's answering computer with a cheaper
	modem. I am close but I have so little time :-(

 - I am using it for computer control of various things around my house. this
	is based on the xten stuff ( which is great BTW ) does my lights, air
	conditioning, and my heating in the winter! Also sends me mail about
	activities going on at home. Like someone came in the door. The
	alarm system just went off... somthing is in the back yard... etc..

 - I use my old 386 and an xten adaptor for Light Control for bands.. it is
	a little slow...but with planning it works great... also looking
	at using the sound card to figure out the beat and automate that
	quite a bit... right now can be used for scenes and so forth. And
	it is cheap... any one looking for a cheap lighting system for plays
	and things it works out well.

  That is about it... except for hacking.

 -branson

--
MATHESON, E BRANSON                             E.B.MATHESON@LaRC.NASA.GOV
    Mail Stop 931                            COMPUTER SCIENCES CORPORATION