Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 14:33:41 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KEvent doesnt return and KEvent sample troubles

www.flugsvamp.org doesn't seem to resolve.

> It appears I am able to create the correct structure's and register the
> events. However the event never returns and never responds to any action.
> For example if I use a sample which monitors the actions on a file I can
> read from, and write to the file and it shows no sign of noticing.
>
> I was wondering if it's simply a mistake of my own, however the failure for
> the samples I've found has puzzled my further. I'm working on a 4.3-STABLE
> machine using GCC version 2.95.3.
>
> Here is an example of code that I am using which doesn't seem to catch any
> events. Its a slightly modified version of read_test.c from flugsvamp.com
> which I edit so it would compile happily.
>
> It doesn't seem to work however.

[snip..]

>         kq = syscall(SYS_kqueue);
>         if (kq < 0)
>                 err(1, "kqueue");
>
> 	event[0].ident = fd;
> 	event[0].filter = EVFILT_READ;
> 	event[0].flags = EV_ADD | EV_ENABLE;
> 	evp[0] = &event[0];
> 	n = syscall(SYS_kevent, kq, 1, evp, 0, NULL, 0);

uh, what the heck?   Why not just use the kqueue call directly like
the manpage explains?  I think you have the arguments to kevent()
wrong.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"