Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:16:13 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ping: sendto: No buffer space available

Hi!

What is a reason of 'No buffer space available' error?
Which buffer should I increase to avoid this?
My PPP interface is very unstable, it locks up with high traffic volume
and ping issues this error. This is PPP over TCP over Ethernet (with
traffic shaper) both sides run FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE and stock pppd.
These lockups are 100% reproducible with ping -f. After some period
of time no packets can pass and even if I stop ping, the interface
is dead forever, until pppd is stopped and restarted manually.
However, interface stays 'up'.

These are options of pppd:

netmask 255.255.255.255
local
debug
kdebug 1
115200
lock
asyncmap 0
nodetach
mtu 576
mru 576
nodeflate
nobsdcomp
persist

The other side has the same options plus assignment of IPs (ipv4).

# netstat -m
51/192/16384 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        51 mbufs allocated to data
1/8/4096 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
64 Kbytes allocated to network (0% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

Eugene Grosbein