Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:22:59 -0800
From:      "David Smithson" <david-s@foundation-i.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gigabit troubles

Hi all.  I thought I'd share this with you quickly.  I finally found a =
solution to my gigabit connectivity problems.  I have a Netgear GA-622T =
connected to an Asante FriendlyNet switch.  When I would bring the =
interface to and UP state, the port would shutdown on the switch.  I =
tried everything I could think of.  Finally I called Asante -- which is =
what I should have done in the first place.  And Engineer named Al told =
me that my cable was too short (4-5 ft.).  I said wtf?!  What do you =
mean too short?  Then he explained why it matters.  I'm not an =
electrical engineer, so I won't even attempt to explain it here.  Sure =
enough, I made a longer (10 ft.) cable and for **** sake, it worked!  =
This may not be news to some of you, but I'm used to 100 megabit =
ethernet networks where cables are sometimes too long (attenuation is =
high), but never too short.

-- David