Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:04:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christopher Arnold <chris@bahnhof.se>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting point?

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Gary Palmer wrote:

> This to me says that the initial development should be done on a USPARC PCI
> based box. Why? All that is needed is the host -> pci bridge support code, and
> we get a whole slew of debugged and working PCI drivers. On the other hand,
> going the SBUS route, we not only have to debug SBUS bridge & support code,
> but also the drivers to (since I can virtually guarentee they won't work out
> of the box)

To me this makes sense, not that i don't want SBUS support (or sun4m
support) but it advances the project and gives it the attention it needs.

So why not go the quickest/easiest path and then move on from there.

I'm quite surtain that as soon as there is some PCI based systems up and
running the pressure/interest for SBUS and older architectures will
increase and people will start coding.

	/chris