Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 14:12:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jon O." <jono@microshaft.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD benchmark question

Hi:

We are testing a VALinux machine running Red Hat 6.2 against a FreeBSD
machine running 4.3-RELEASE. The test consists of running a genetic search
algorithm on both machines and using time to meaure the result.

I have found the Linux box is much faster after running the search once
and then firing it off again. So, the first run of the test the two
machines are almost exactly as fast. But, the next time the linux box runs
the test it is vastly faster than the FreeBSD box. I believe this has
something to do with caching, but I don't know the specifics. Can this
type of feature work on FreeBSD? I've enabled softupdates but that only
helps a little.

Also, the linux box seems to run the CPU up to 100% right off the bat when
starting the test. This probably helps it complete the test quickly.
However, the FreeBSD box runs the CPU up more slowly and never reaches
even 75% usage. Is there a way to get the FreeBSD box to hog the processor
right off the bat?

Thanks,
Jon