Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:31:04 +0100
From:      "Kristian Larsson" <kristian@zarknet.tk>
To:        "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Router/Firewall Questions

> Hi!

> > If your ethernet card has two types of connectors (RJ45 aka UTP and
> > BNC [which is a thing that sticks out of the card]) then you could try
> > to connect the adsl-modem to the RJ45 and the rest of your stuff to
> > the BNC, which would save you the hub (as BNC is daisy chain) and one
> > network card.
>
> You're joking, right? The only Ethernet cards I know of which support
> connecting multiple network cables to one card are the really expensive
> 4-port RJ45 cards that have highly specialized hardware to basically
> act as 4 NICs on one board.
>
> Any plain $5 BNC/TP combo card certainly does NOT support connecting a
> cable to both BNC and TP connector!

now that it's been brought up, which quad Ethernet cards exist with good
working drivers for FreeBSD?
a friend had one of those a long time ago, and it messed everything up since
the drivers were real cheap.
I don't remember which card he had, and maybe the drivers has been improved
since then.
But are there any cards, which do NOT work?
and which work better?

greatful for any response
/Kristian