Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:41:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      cmascott@world.std.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/7141: Kernel freezes, gdb, high memory load

>Number:         7141
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Kernel freezes, gdb, high memory load
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

FreeBSD europa.my.pc 2.2.6-RELEASE
FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE #0: Fri Jun 19 22:08:12 EDT 1998
     cem@europa.my.pc:/usr/src/sys/compile/EUR980619  i386

(GENERIC kernel with unused drivers deleted, Voxware sound
blaster driver added)

P90, 32 MB RAM, 96 MB swap, Adaptec 2940, 2 SCSI drives

SW running at time of freeze:

3 xterm's
olvwm
gdb
program being debugged (calctool)
root csh on console

I built a debugging version of libxview.a.  The library
has ~20 MB of symbol information.  I linked a small
program (calctool) with the library and started to debug
the program with gdb.  I set a breakpoint and started
the program.  The program ran to the breakpoint.  I
then continued the program and the kernel froze.

During the following few minutes there was no disk
activity and the keyboard and mouse buttons were
dead.  I couldn't switch VT's.  I couldn't reboot
with CTL-ALT-DEL.  The only clue that the kernel
had not crashed was that the mouse cursor was still
following the mouse.  I finally had to shut the
power off (no reset switch).

After rebooting I checked /var/log/messages to see
if the kernel wrote something about the problem,
but it didn't.

This could well be the first time I did anything that
required more memory than the machine's physical RAM.

I have seen temporary freezes before when searching
a large (~500K) document in Netscape Communicator 4.04,
but during those freezes the mouse cursor wasn't
following the mouse.  Those freezes lasted 10-20
seconds.

>How-To-Repeat:

Unsure.  Seems to be a VM problem.  Try creating a
memory load that exceeds physical RAM.  If it is a
VM problem, the less RAM the machine had, the more
likely it would be for the problem to occur.

>Fix:

Unknown.