Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 00:09:18 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Falcon" <jeremy@intersurf.com>
To:        "John Galt" <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>, "James G. Jones" <microtech@adelphia.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unix

Technically speaking, FreeBSD is referred to as a UNIX-like OS.  That is
because of The Open Group trademark (which is stupid in the first place).
That's like trademarking the word "bed".

If I wrap a weiner in wheat bread instead of a white bread hotdog bun, do
you not consider that a hotdog as well?  What about McDonalds?.  They use
soy as a filler in their products.  Do you not consider those hamburgers
either?  I bet you still call them hamburgers.

Sure Bell Labs (div. of AT&T) created the first UNIX, but AT&T licensed the
source because of a DOJ injunction prohibiting them to sell software.  The
code got out and was studied and used in other implementations.  Berkley
created alot of utils that became standard for UNIX.

4.4BSD-Lite had very little AT&T source, but that doesn't mean it's not
UNIX.  For that matter, UNIX was orignally written in Assembly but for
portability reasons it was rewritten in C.  So basically, UNIX is not UNIX
according to your beliefs.  The C source was based on the Assembly source,
but it's not really the "same" source, it was rewritten.

Let's take the upcoming Perl 6.  It will be a complete rewrite and not based
on the Perl 5 source code.  According to your beliefs, Perl 6 would not
really be Perl because Perl 6 is not based on the source of Perl 5.  I'll
still call it Perl, however.

The source is not important.  What's important is the OS, and FreeBSD has
UNIX written all over it!

BTW, if James is just getting started he may want to download an ISO
instead...

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/.0/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/
ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/.0/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/ISO-IMAGES/

Jeremy Falcon
"Waiting to be bashed."