Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:53:28 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach <johannes-maria@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting an MP3 player?

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:32:37AM +0200, Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach wrote:

> Hello,
>
> can anyone tell me how to mount an MP3 player (usb)?
> I seem to be too stupid to figure it out by myself.
> I thought it would be as easy as mounting a usb memory stick
> which I can mount with a device file of the form /dev/da#s#,
> e. g. /dev/da0s1, which is present after connecting the
> memory stick, but not if connecting the player instead; in this
> case I've got only /dev/da1 to /dev/da4.
> I tried all these and also /dev/usb, /dev/usb1, ..., /dev/usb4,
> but that doesn't work (as I expected but tried nevertheless).
>
> If I connect the player to the usb bus I get the following in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> | kernel: umass1: TrekStor TrekStor, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2

It should say more after that. Can you post it?

> and from usblist:
>
> | <Generic USB SD Reader 1.00>       at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (da1,pass0)
> | <Generic USB CF Reader 1.01>       at scbus1 target 0 lun 1 (da2,pass1)
> | <Generic USB SM Reader 1.02>       at scbus1 target 0 lun 2 (da3,pass2)
> | <Generic USB MS Reader 1.03>       at scbus1 target 0 lun 3 (da4,pass3)

It looks like your player has a number of areas of storage e:g SD
card, flash card, it's own internal memory etc. and they all have an
associated device node:

$ ls /dev | grep da

You can manipulate these devices with camcontrol(8) E.g:

# camcontrol stop 1:0:0
# camcontrol rescan 1:0:0
# camcontrol load 1:0:0

should initialise /dev/da0 (the SD card?)

Then:

# mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0 /mnt/dos

will mount it & you can read/write files from it.

When you're finished:

# umount /mnt/dos
# camcontrol eject 1:0:0

If you have problems, post back the signifigant parts of
/var/log/messages and any other errors.

Regards,

--

 Frank