Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 20:54:06 -0800
From:      "Craig W. Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitioning suggestions?

chuckr@glue.umd.edu wrote:

del ...

> A friend who programs a lot shocked me by saying that she regularly
> installs just one big partition, for /,/usr/ the whole works.  I'd
> never done that myself, but I've been trying to come up with some solid
> reason why it's a bad idea.

del ...
> ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
> Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> chuckr@glue.umd.edu         | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> 213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
> Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic, both FreeBSD
> (301) 220-2114              | version 3.0 current -- and great FUN!
> ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------

I think the original reasoning among sysadmins was to break up the file
systems so that they could be backed up to tape easily.  Tape size being
somewhat on the small side at one time.  So 60mb to 150mb file systems
were the norm.  I like to put / and /usr under 1 2g disk.  That includes
/var /tmp /etc ....  Then I put development and databases on other
disks.  The poster of the original question had a 6.5g disk.  I might be
likely to partition that out to 2g for the base of / /usr /etc ... and
then use the rest for development or whatever.

The idea of using MFS mounted /tmp is appealing.  How do you do that?
Is there some documentation on that?

Thanks,

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088