Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:31:05 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        Michael Johnson <ahze@ahze.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 ethernet cards working as one.. Is it possable?

> > What I want :
> >    - Computer A to be able to use NIC 1 & 2 as 1.
>
> 	Search the mailing list.  Someone wrote a
> 	netgraph module to do ether-channel to make 2 ethernet cards
> 	become 1.

Archie Cobb wrote it for me back in August/September last year but
my testing window closed and the next one hasn't come.

Note that this shouldn't be confused with Cisco ether-channel[1], because
it isn't.  It does multiplex on multiple links, though.

The module is ng_one2many, and is in 4.2-RELEASE (I'm not sure exactly
when it was committed though).

Cheers,
Tony

[1] Archie's module basically accepts packets on any line, and when
sending just rotates through the lines--simple but effective.  The
Cisco interpretation depends on the switch type: on most of them it
actually performs an XOR of the two MAC addresses to decide which
line to use; on the switches Cisco acquired from Kalpana (which I
think they've killed from the product range now) it was a rotation
algorithm, but I never had one so I can't tell you whether there
were any eccentricities that would have stopped it working with
ng_one2many.  Sun Microsystems have a similar package for suitably
equipped servers called "Sun Trunking" in which you can choose
which algorithm to use, but I've only ever used the "standard"
Cisco one.
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319