Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:56:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Michael Class <michael_class@hp.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network performance-problem

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Michael Class wrote:

> It seems that NewReno is switched on by default in current.
> Unfortunately switching off NewReno does not change the problem. In
> times of very high network-traffic I am still unable to use the network.
> The system does not even respond to a ping where as all other systems I
> have (HPUX 10.20, 11.0 and NT4) behave as expected: slow response-times,
> but still working and ping-able.

	What is your NMBCLUSTERS set to? And in cases of "high traffic," what
  does `netstat -m' show for number of clusters and mbufs "in use?" How
  much of mb_map (%) is in use? If any of these are relatively close to
  exhaustion, try increasing NMBCLUSTERS in your kernel configuration and
  rebuilding.

> At home I am using this Laptop in a 100MB-Network and am able to almost
> saturate the link without any problems. Could it be that this is just
> happening for multicast-packets (that's what the high network-traffic
> is)?
>
> Anything else I could check?
>
> TIA
>
> Michael
>

> --
> Michael Class                            E-Mail: michael_class@hp.com
> E-Business Solution Division             Phone:  +49 7031 14-3707
>                                          Fax:    +49 7031 14-4505
> Hewlett-Packard GmbH, PO Box 1430, Mailstop ESD2, 71004 Boeblingen
> Managing Directors: Rainer Geissel (Chairman),Rainer Erlat, Heribert
>                     Schmitz, Hans-Jochen Lueckefett, Fritz Schuller
> Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Joerg Menno Harms
> Commercial register: Amtsgericht Boeblingen HRB 4081

  Cheers,
  Bosko Milekic
  bmilekic@technokratis.com