Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 16:34:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      xmcd@amb.org (Xmcd Admin)
To:        conrads@home.com (Conrad Sabatier)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org, xmcd@amb.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed for ioctl error in xmcd/cda with IDE CD-ROM

Conrad Sabatier writes:
> I just upgraded my CD-ROM drive to an Acer 640-P (50x max).  It works
> fine with cdcontrol, wmcdplay and xmms (using libcdaudio.so), and
> xmcd and cda can read the disc table of contents and do a CDDB lookup
> just fine, BUT...it won't play any tracks (in xmcd or cda)!
>
> I keep getting the error:
>
> CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/racd0c: cmd=CDIOCPLAYMSF errno=5

What version of xmcd are you running?  Some CDROM drives are slow
to respond after issuing a start command, and a subsequent request
to play can fail.  In xmcd 2.5, a small delay was inserted to work
around this problem.  If you are running a version of xmcd older
than 2.5, I suggest upgrading to the latest, which is 2.5 PL1.
You can download it at:
	http://metalab.unc.edu/tkan/xmcd/

If you are already running 2.5, then perhaps I can work with you
a bit to track down the problem.

-Ti (author of xmcd)
--
\\ // Ti Kan