Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:35:16 +0000
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/11093: remind user that he needs to be root to install port

On Mon 1999-04-12 (06:20), Mikhail Kruk wrote:
>  Since I can't think of a port which can be installed as user (may be
>  wrong of course) the script may stop or ask for confirmation. The
>  same reason: I type make and forget about that shell for a while, I
>  can easily miss the message.

I, amongst others I'm sure, do install and build ports without being
root, since I can change DISTDIR and PREFIX, making it not necessary for
me to be root.

Perhaps there should be a check that you can write to ${PREFIX}, much
like the write check on ${DISTDIR}. (this would stop the make install if
it failed, I would think)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner