Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2012 17:40:15 GMT
From:      Christoph Theis <theis@gmx.at>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/164659: security/py-fail2ban overwrite config files

The following reply was made to PR ports/164659; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christoph Theis <theis@gmx.at>
To: Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:37:02 +0100

 Hi Matthias!

 Am 07.03.2012 15:45, schrieb Matthias Fechner:
 > thanks for the information, I learned that lesson the hard way and had
 > to restore all changed config files from a backup.

 Ooops :(

 > To save other users from this experience my suggestion with the provided
 > patch was to display a short instruction what has to be configured after
 > the installation is done.
 >
 > I do not need that patch, I know it now, but maybe it helps a user which
 > is new to fail2ban, to lose the config file with an upgrade.

 I know that other projects install config files as "sample", but those
 don't have the concept of .local files. So doing both, .sample and
 .local, is something like "Gürtel und Hosenträger".

 But with the next update I will display a message hinting users at using
 .local files, as you suggested. I won't do a patch right now, there is
 no need to push an update for a better message what to do in case of
 updates ...

 Best regards and thank you for your feedback

 Christoph