Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 20:29:25 -0700
From:      "Chris McCluskey" <chris@digitaldeck.com>
To:        <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        <mlafren@dowco.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Patch/Announcement for DHCPD remote root hole?

[Acknowledged misuse of specific list]

New to the FreeBSD administration side of things, so I might be able
to provide a more unique point of view as compared to all you FreeBSD
veterans.

Both "sides" from my POV are making valid points (even if the methods
of presentation could be improved).

I think we all agree that the fix-it-or-forget it philosophy rule
applies for all open source development -- whether it's bugs,
improvements, or documentation:
If you like it, use it -- make it better.
If you don't like it, fix it to make it better.
The end result -- it's better.

In this specific case I think all that is required is a simple front
end to cvsup -- a kind-of "This package has been fixed for the
following issues... Do you want to build it and install it now?" kind
of thing. I'm not ready to write this myself, so I'll "shut up" on the
subject. <grin>

But I think there is another issue here, which may be more to the
point. The FreeBSD documentation is great, but I have yet to see
perfect documentation. There are some small potholes in learning the
cvsup tool, and there are no concrete examples to follow. For those
that are good admins with tarballs and Makefiles, but are new to CVS
this is a hard road. The handbook basically says -- we tend to use
cvsup, cvsup uses CVS, these are the options, here's a template, now
go! A step by step example would be great (saying things like "This is
where you specify the release tag. Go to http://here for a list of
valid tags.").

The important gotchas for me were as follows:

1) Starting out with the template file is good -- but knowing which
CVS server supports which protocols, which servers are online, and
which servers are "fully-synced" on a certain tree would be valuable.
A monitoring web page that checks for these things and a link to this
page in the handbook could easily fix this. The mirrors page is just a
bit to static.

2) The convention for naming (and retrieving) certain releases is
good. But a small blurb refreshing the user/admin as to what the
options are would be good. In fact a page listing and annotating the
different suffixes would be cool (does it exist already?!). It takes
the "new user" a bit of time to understand the labels used, but that's
part of the FreeBSD rite of passage. That said some clear references
and reminders as to what exactly [example only] RELENG_4_5 is would be
nice.

A valid frame of reference for cvsup documentation would be to take an
admin who has used tarballs, configure scripts, and Makefiles to the
next level that of a CVS/cvsup user -- one the things that make BSD
unique and cool.

My hats off to all the coders, developers, and documentation people --
FreeBSD is a great OS.

We can't write code for those that can't read, but for those that can
read, let's give them enough text and examples so they can find out
how good FreeBSD is -- and can be.

Thanks for the time and the bits.