Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:07:24 +0800
From:      Gong Wei <ccegongw@nus.edu.sg>
To:        "'freebsd-question@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-question@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   KDM and FreeBSD 3.3

Dear all,

My apologizes for asking a question which is not so related to the list ...

Here it goes: I have a machine recently upgraded to FreeBSD-Stable 3.3
through cvsup+make world. Some weeks later I decided to give KDE a try, by
(cd /usr/ports/x11/kde11-i18n;make install).  Everything went smoothly
except the KDM, which seems couldn't let me login.  After entering the
correct userid and password at the KDM welcome window, then for a very short
period of time the screen becomes black, very short in fact.  After that the
KDM welcome window will just reappear again.

The password checking part is fine, if I enter the wrong password, some
error message will be printed on the KDM welcome window.

I've checked the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config file.  No any error
message printed in the DisplayManager.errorLogfile (which is the standard
xdm-errors).  I also couldn't find anything in the ~/.xsession-errors file.
in fact, nothing at all in these two files.

I have a ~/.xsession file, which is a symbolic link to ~/.Xclients (mode:
0755).

The KDM was started by typing "kdm" when login as root.

Oddly enough, if I run xdm instead of kdm, everything just works fine.  I
can login successfully and whatever program specified in ~/.Xclients will be
executed, error message/output will also started filling the two error log
files (/usr/X11/...../xdm-errors and ~/.xsession-errors).

I've searched the KDE mailing list, seems someone also facing the same
problem.  Too bad he said he had solve it, by looking at the two error log
file (xdm-error, ~/.xsession-error).

As ususal, any comments/hints will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Regards

Gong Wei <gong_wei@nus.edu.sg>