Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:39:41 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   removal of Global

Due to GLOBAL moving from a BSD-like to GPL license, and the iffy-ness of
its need in the base system; I would like to remove it.

The GLOBAL author has changed the license he will distribute GLOBAL
under.  He wants it to be the official GNU GLOBAL, and with that came the
license change.  He will keep the existing version going on minor bug
fixes only.  But there will no major changes (ie, major version bump)
under the BSD-like license.

I know of virtually no one that actually *uses* Global, nor is Global a
traditional CSRG-BSD offering.  JKH did the original import of Global.
He has said at the time he wanted a ctags equivalent capability, but he
now says he doesn't any longer feel it needs to remain in the system.  He
said he would be happy to have it in ports.

Last call?

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)