Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:52:38 -0600
From:      mark_wright@datacard.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible to have more than one IP assigned to a NIC?

I have a FreeBSD box running as a mail, web and nat server.  It's connected
to our T-1 connection using a Sangoma T-1 card.  The problem I'm having is
that our T-1 provider (qwest) doesn't want us to use the IP assigned to our
T-1 connection as our server's IP.  They expect us to have a separate
router and server.  They're our backup DNS server, and they won't mirror
our in-addr.arpa zone for the IP that they expect we will use only for a
router.  So far, this only seems to cause problems with the FreeBSD mailing
lists, but I'm sure other reverse-dns-related problems will crop up.

Is there some way to use NAT to fix this?  Or is there some way to assign
more than 1 ip address to a network interface, so it can answer on both?

Mark Wright
mwright@pro-ns.net