Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:38:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, pst@jnx.com, current@freebsd.org, archie@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet in.h ip_fw.h ip_input.c ip_output.c

> > > context switches are just not going to cut it...
> though sometimes you need to do things with packets that
> require interaction with a database of reading from files etc..
> I put it to you that having a general way of getting the packets
> out of the kernel is  better than adding bloat IN the kernel to
> do these things.

No reason we can't have both; then everybody's happy :-)

I like Soren's "pointer chaining" idea .. as long as divert sockets
are retained. Then you can use the kernel to do something if it
is suitable (and/or you need performance), or if not, then you can
always do it in user mode.

User mode is also good for testing & debugging new things.

-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@whistle.com  *  Whistle Communications Corporation