Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 17:46:19 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), cracauer@cons.org, chuckr@mat.net, nate@mt.sri.com, osa@etrust.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What about jdk-1.1.6 for FreeBSD-3.0-ELF ?

> > The Solaris ABI defines the interface between executing programs and the
> > kernel.
> >
> > The various programming APIs define the source-level interface.
> >
> > There are no standards for the interface between shared objects which
> > are relevant to the discussion.
>
> Sure there are.  There's the Solaris ABI.

Read what I just wrote:  The Solaris ABI specifies the interface
between a running program and the kernel.  It *does*not* specify the
interfaces between eg. libc and a libc consumer.

The Solaris API specifies this at the *source* level.

> > You will notice, if you had been paying attention to the list of
> > missing library symbols recently posted, that the interface between the
> > Solaris Motif library and the Solaris C library involves a not
> > insubstantial number of very weird symbols.  It might be feasible to
> > implement a compatibility library, but this would, naturally, suck.
>
> How?  In that it would allow shared Solaris binaries to operate on
> FreeBSD?

No, it would allow libraries built to link against the Solaris libc to
instead link with the FreeBSD libc.

> You must have a different definition of "suck"...

The practical issues involved in implementing such a shim would be
disgusting.

We already have a mechanism for allowing Solaris binaries to operate on
FreeBSD; it will be committed shortly after 3.0 is released.