Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:42:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Subject:   snd970825.tgz available

The latest snap of my sound driver is available at the following URLs:

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd970825.tgz
	ftp://www.iet.unipi.it/pub/snd970825.tgz

There are two noticeable differences since the previous release:

  * files now should be unpacked in /sys/i386/isa/snd directory.
  * the "controller snd0" statement in the config file is not needed
    anymore.

As a consequence of these changes, in order to build a kernel, one
should:

  * update "files.i386"
  * update the kernel config file, run "config" etc.
  * make sure that /sys/i386/isa/sound/ulaw.h exists if you
    also use /dev/pcaudio

Although these changes are annoying, I decided to make them to make
life easier for those who want to build kernels with both Amancio's
driver (or the original sound driver) and this new driver. Having code
in two different places is the first step, although I have not checked
for name clashes yet.

Major improvements of the code since the previous release:

- removed a stupid bug I introduced last time in SB support which prevented
  SB 3.x to work. I have tested it and now SB 3.x works in both play
  and capture mode (half duplex though);

- Better OPTI931 support which now more or less works. After
  debugging the OPTI931 for the whole day, I am pretty convinced
  that the chip has a bug and it cannot capture ULAW (all other
  modes and formats seem to work well). I can implement a software
  workaround in the driver, but I am postponing this in case I am
  wrong and people from OPTI comes up with a reasonable explaination
  of why I am wrong.

- some initial support for the GUSPNP in MSS mode;

- some improvements to the dma code and various code cleanup.

As usual, please test this driver if you have a chance, and send
feedback (_both_ positive and negative). I need feedback
to support cards I do not own. I am particularly interested on how it
works with the GUSPnP and SB16PnP, but info on any card is welcome.

Remember, I need the output from dmesg (the section which starts with
    Probing for PnP devices:
    CSN 1 Vendor ID: OPT0931 [0x3109143e] Serial 0xffffffff
    port 0x0300 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 irq 11:0 drq 4:4
    port 0x0200 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 irq 0:0 drq 4:4
    port 0x0534 0x0380 0x0220 0x0e0c irq 10:0 drq 1:5

and possibly the output of "pnpinfo".

	Thanks for your cooperation
	Luigi