Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:28:27 +1000
From:      Paul Koch <paul.koch@statseeker.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: 6.0 Release - Pentium install panic and some questions

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:24 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Issue 1: Can't install on a Pentium P5 class machine:
> >
> > The install panics when installing the base stuff. No useful
> > messages are displayed accept the "panic: page fault" and rebooting
> > in 15 seconds. The machines are 10 year old DEC Pentiums, 32 to 64M
> > ram, IDE disks, etc. We have four of these in our test environment
> > and appear to install and run FreeBSD-5.4 fine.
>
> Try disabling ACPI.  Many old systems have buggy ACPI
> implementations. Sometimes this can be fixed by a BIOS upgrade.

A Pentium 150Mhz aged machine wouldn't have ACPI, would it ?

I just tried going through the long floppy install on another one of
these machines I have in my home test rack (they don't boot from the
cdrom anymore), but stopped trying when the single IBM SCSI disk
attached to an Adaptec controller was detected as da0, da1, da2, da3,
da4 and da5 !   I'll try again on the machines in the office tomorrow.

> > hints           "./device.hints"
> > machine         i386
> > cpu             I586_CPU
> > cpu             I686_CPU
> > ident           RNA_KERNEL
> > options         SCHED_ULE
>
> You probably want 4BSD, since ULE is slower on many workloads.

We used ULE on 5.4 because it used less space on the floppy image and
there was really only one process doing much on the machine, but I did
some playing this afternoon and see that on 6.0 ULE and 4BSD use up the
same amount of space, so I am changing it back to 4BSD.  I am not so
stretched for space on the floppy anymore after getting rid of the
second GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE text.

	Paul.