Date:      Sat, 1 May 2004 00:57:30 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Jamie <jamie@gnulife.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: environment variables, job control

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:33:21PM -0500, Jamie wrote:
>    I'm using FreeBSD 4.9. Hopefully this is not too far off-topic.
>
>    My login shell is set to /bin/csh. Why is it that when I:
>
> % /bin/sh
> $ echo $SHELL
>
>   I get:
> $ /bin/csh

Because $SHELL is set by the login process and not the shell. /bin/sh
doesn't invoke any special processing when it is invoked
(/usr/local/bin/bash on the other does quite a bit). Try it out on
other UNIXes, and the behaviour is the same.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
                   "Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny"