Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:53:39 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
To:        Andrew Thompson <andy@fud.org.nz>
Cc:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FireDNS and net.inet.udp.log_in_vain

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> I believe this is caused when the dns server is slow/overloaded, the
> resolver queries the server but the packet arrives back after the local
> port is closed.

OTOH, I have a stock bind (FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE) running on localhost,
nameserver 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf, sendmail_enable="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf
and log_in_vain turned on. And I always have one
"Connection attempt to UDP ..." message for _every_ mail message
being delivered by sendmail.

Eugene Grosbein