Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 2008 06:41:27 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Steve Franks <stevefranks@ieee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: includes, configure, /usr/lib vs. /usr/local/lib, and linux coders

--UPT3ojh+0CqEDtpF

On 2008-Oct-31 11:23:53 -0700, Steve Franks <stevefranks@ieee.org> wrote:
>I believe someone has told me on this list that the proper way to
>compile a linux program is to run configure
>--includedir=3D/usr/local/include --libdir=3D/usr/local/lib.  Is that
>correct?

Yes.  The FreeBSD toolchain does not automatically include /usr/local/...
though the Linux one does.

>  I've got a bunch of linux weenies trying to tell me their
>code isn't broken because I'm supposed to have headers where theirs
>are.

A very blinkered PoV...  There are a whole pile of reasons why you
might use/want a different layout.

>  They state that includedir is used by *their* project to locate
>it's *own* headers, so they never bothered to wire it up in
>Makefile.in....it gets ignored entirely.

Then their project is broken. These options are intended for use by
someone who is building the project.  They are not for use by the
project itself.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--UPT3ojh+0CqEDtpF