Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 14:04:54 +0100
From:      "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stanb@awod.com
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Persistant config data for ports?

--=.(GPCl/dE4v8Esp

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 01:48:16 -0500 Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net> wrote:

> Stan, you message is forwarded to ports@, where we can better assist you.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from stable-digest <owner-freebsd-stable-digest@FreeBSD.ORG> -----
> Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:21:22 -0500
> From: stan <stanb@awod.com>
> Subject: Persistant config data for ports?
>
> I've started using cvsup, and portupgrade to update my installed ports on
> several machines on a regular bassis.
>
> This takes several hoyrs, or more, espically if I gotten a bit behind and
> there are lots of ports to update. So I satrt this, and leave it running
> unatended.
>
> Unfortunately, I usuall come back to find the system waiting patiently fro
> an answer from me, as to a configuration choice.
>
> Given that those choices have already been mace (most of the time) it would
> seem to me to be nice if there was some way for the system to have this
> data stored in a persistentant fashion, so that I don't have to answer teh
> same questiosn every time. In addition there are several ports that have
> otional installation features that are turned on by port build time flags
> passed to make. Yhes get built the default way, rahter than the way they
> were before the upgrade. This also seems like a place where this persistant
> data store would be useful.
>
> ----- End forwarded message
>
> Well, first off, if you want everything built per defaults (like the
> packages available for download), you can define two magic symbols for
> make: BATCH and PACKAGE_BUILDING. I usually stick with just using BATCH,
> as it will ensure that nothing wants my input.

actually, there is IS_INTERACTIVE, too ;]
to my knowledge PACKAGE_BUILDING is especially for building on bento
and for the releases.
BATCH is if you want to tell the port, that it is being built
unattended. most ports chose some default settings if BATCH is set.
for me, this solution is not the desired one:
if i want default options to be built, i'll go for PACKAGE_BUILDING.
as stated in portupgrade(1)'s manpage you can use the following
construct to (hopefully) filter out ports that provide configuration
dialogs:

portupgrade -B 'test ! `make -V IS_INTERACTIVE`'

this way all ports which set IS_INTERACTIVE by default (i.e. most time
they set it only if BATCH and PACKAGE_BUILDING is not defined - ugh)

after that you just go for an attended build with
portupgrade -m INTERACTIVE=yes ; this should only build ports that are
flaged as IS_INTERACTIVE.

> You can:
>
> 1. Put "BATCH=yes" in /etc/make.conf.
>
> 2. Use the option "-m -DBATCH" to portupgrade.
>
> You can also edit /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf, and set up special
> make args for certain packages or classes of packages. Look for MAKE_ARGS
> in the file for instructions.

concerning this, i'm working (since next week ;]) on a patch for
bsd.port.mk to ease options dialogs and to store this information (in an
+OPTIONS or such). yet i don't know a reliable way to access this
saved information on build time. does anybody have a clue?

cheerz
  corecode

--
/"\   http://corecode.ath.cx/