Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:21:51 +0200
From:      Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetJet-S and DOV

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:06:00PM -0200, Sergio de Souza Prallon wrote:

> I wrote this driver for my personal use here in Brazil. Here, the ISDN
> B-channels are 8-bit clean. If I understand Traverse's tech staff, DOV
> consists in declare in the call-setup (in the D-channel) packet that
> you want the B-channel to be Voice Capable instead of Data Capable. That
> was because of diferent charge prices made by some of the Telcos.
> Unfortunately, most of the terminal servers in use in Australia are Ascend
> and they have a `feature' that if they receive a Voice call, they only
> take 7 out of every 8 bits of the traffic (because Voice in America is
> sampled with 7 bits) EVEN IF THEY CARRY HDLC FRAMED DATA.

A Telco could even use some voice compression method behind your back and
transmit 2 voice channels over one 64 kilobit/s link, if you declared you
want to transmit voice....

But about the 7 of 8 bit part - the US use ulaw encoding - don't they? thats
a 14 bit into 8 bit compression - you need an 8bit channel to transport it.
Unless they are sampling it at 7 kHz sample rate, but famous US ISDN hardware,
e.g. the audio chip used by (now ancient) SUN workstations, only supported
8 kHz  8-bit uLAW-encoding.

Regards,
	-is