Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:22:21 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good Mail Programs

From: Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>
Subject: Good Mail Programs
Date: Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 11:10:39PM -0800

> Okay, I've just about had enough of Pine.  Mozilla is too slow.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions on good mail readers?  Requirements:

I personally prefer Mutt to Pine.
It reminds me of Elm that other Unix mailer I used to find pretty on
SunOS boxes back in 1993.

It's in the ports, and I customarily build it with:

	# cd /usr/ports/mutt-devel
	# make WITH_MUTT_IMAP=yes WITH_MUTT_POP=yes \
	  WITH_MUTT_HTML=yes WITH_MUTT_SSL=yes WITH_MUTT_NNTP=yes

> - must support multiple mailboxes, both locally and remotely (via IMAP and POP)

Yes, it does support multiple folders.  In fact, all my mail is
fetched with fetchmail, and split in proper folders with procmail.
Then Mutt has a few lines in my .muttrc to watch for new mail in all
of these folders:

    # folder options
    set mbox_type="mbox"
    unset mbox
    unset move
    unset metoo
    set folder="~/mail"
    set postponed="+postponed"
    set record="+sent-mail"
    mailboxes +INBOX \
            +log.cvsup +log.periodic \
            +greek.bsd.users +greek.linux.users +zsh.users \
            +f.PR +f.bugs \
            +f.arch +f.committers +f.developers +f.doc +f.current +f.policy \
            +f.cvs.doc +f.cvs.ports +f.cvs.src +f.cvs.www +f.cvs.misc \
            +f.advocacy +f.chat +f.fs +f.hackers +f.isp +f.jobs +f.net \
            +f.newbies +f.questions +f.security \
            +irc.grnet.admins +irc.grnet.opers \
            +irc.grnet.help +irc.grnet.hellas +irc.grnet.services

There's practically no limit to the numbers of folders you can use.

> - must be easy to sort / maitain mailboxes

Pretty easy, yes :)

> - would prefer an X program, but am willing to settle for an excellent console app
> - pleasant to use

I'm all for console mailers, because graphical mailers tend to do
Strange Things(TM) with wrapping and whitespace, which makes me angry :)