Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:08:31 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        Jim Still <jimstill@home.com>, trevor@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: bsdi-netscape-communicator-4.75

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 at 23:21:58 -0400, jack wrote:
> Today Jim Mock wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 at 18:58:51 -0400, Jim Still wrote:
> > > Hi, I'm a real newbie to FreeBSD, but I think to learn it best I
> > > need to get a web browser for it, so I can read manuals, etc., and
> > > then practice the commands in BSD, rather than using 2 separate
> > > machines to do it, or printing out hundreds of pages.
> > >
> > > Can you direct me to a step by step instruction manual for
> > > installing the bsd netscape?
> >
> > cd /usr/ports/www/bsdi-netscape47-communicator && make install
> > distclean
> >
> > It's that simple.
>
> Not quite.  The make file includes:
>
> FORBIDDEN=  "buffer overflow in password field of HTML forms,\
> reported by Michal Zalewski and fixed in 4.76--example at \
> http://people.freebsd.org/~trevor/hostile-page.html ; \
> also has GIF comment bug--see \
> http://dividuum.de/security/netscape/ "

Good point, I didn't even bother checking that.  If I use Netscape, I
use the Linux version anyway.  I'm currently running a Mozilla nightly,
but the version in the ports tree also works quite well.

- jim

--
jim mock <mij@soupnazi.org>              tech writer | iXsystems, Inc.
http://soupnazi.org/         work: jim@ixsystems.net | jim@FreeBSD.org