Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 07:43:28 -0500
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   split scontrib, was Re: /usr/src/gnu sources

> > I couldn't find this in the FAQ or Handbook. What am I supposed to do
> > for the real sources?
> >

> No; if you're looking for where all the 'meat' is, see /usr/src/contrib;

Eek. That's a shitload of stuff to download over my pitiful 28.8 line --
just so I can look at binutils/ld sources.

May I suggest that the toolchain be split out of scontrib? That's still
not optimal because the gcc part of the toolchain is huge, but it'd be
better than being forced to get sources for things like awk, amd, bind,
and a whole slew of other things I'm (and perhaps other people are) not
interested in. (Might be the person who wants bind/named sources doesn't
want to be forced to get the gcc sources?)

Perhaps stoolchgcc, stoolchmisc, and scontrib with everything that's not
in stoolchgcc and stoolchmisc?

Yeah, I could untar scontrib on a machine on the other side of my 28.8
connection and extract just the bits I want. I could. But I think
scontrib has reached the point where it needs to be split up.

--
Kaleb