Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:24:51 -0700
From:      Brad Huntting <huntting@hunkular.glarp.com>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery " KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IR port on Vaio 505

>> 	sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

> On my laptop (not a vaio) that means I didn't force the port and IRQ in
> the BIOS, or I disabled it there.  Autoconfigure doesn't work.

Oops...  Setting the correct Port and IRQ got it attached (as sio2,
doh!)

I suspect that this would be a good time to write a new driver for
the PC87109 family of IR ports;  since in addition to IR, they have
an an "Enhanced UART" mode which, among other things, can operate
13 times faster than the standard UART, and supports DMA.

This brings up the strange dual nature of these devices.  On the
one hand they can be used as (real) serial ports, which means they
need to be character devices and use a line discipline.

On the other hand, since a line discipline must be fed incoming
characters one at a time, it is completely impractical for high
speed packet data.

Any thoughts?

brad