Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:44:52 -0600
From:      Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>
To:        Ariff Abdullah <ariff@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 and Sony Ericsson GC83

Ariff Abdullah wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:13:04 -0600
>Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for chiming in on this one, Ariff.  I really appreciate your
>>help.  I have attached my pciconf output.
>>

>I hope you know how to recompile your kernel.
>
>Get the relevant patch. Mind that you're using 6.0-RELEASE, not
>6.0-STABLE. http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ . Have your kernel
>sources extracted. Patch it. Now, replace your
>/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/ich.c with
>http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/ich.c .
>
>You don't have to recompile everything. A simple cd
>/usr/src/sys/modules/sound/ ; make clean cleandir ; make ; make
>install should suffice. Either reboot, or manually kldunload / kldload
>your sound modules.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>--
>Ariff Abdullah
>FreeBSD

First I will start with: I now have sound working on my laptop within
FreeBSD thanks to Ariff Abdullah's assistance.

Since I am no FreeBSD guru, I didn't know how to "patch" my kernel
sources. I did have them extracted so I backed up all of my sound
related kernel objects and the original ich.c file, downloaded and
copied the one in the above post to the /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/
directory, and ran the commands you, Ariff, provided and restarted...
It worked like a champ!!!

So, now my question is this: Since you recommended I patch my kernel to
STABLE, is it necessary now since I have audio working? I have been
using freebsd-update to get the latest security patches and such.  I
would like to know how to track the stable branch but I think I'll have
to post to the freebsd-stable list for that.  I know how off-topic posts
are frowned upon on other lists and I am sure the FreeBSD community is
no different.

Thanks again, Ariff, for your assistance!  I truly appreciate it!

Jeff Cross