Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 01:31:10 -0500
From:      Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
To:        aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh1 + openssh 1.2.2 + tcsh 6.09.00

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, aunty wrote:
[...]
: Oh true, so true! It must be a bug in that wicked tcsh!
: I'm doing the same here, scp from ssh1 to openssh, and I've found
: that on the openssh machine it shows up a nasty core dropping bug
: in bash too. And a nasty bug in csh too. In fact I cannot find a
: shell without that bug. Funny I'd never noticed how buggy shells
: were before using ssh of different kinds.

Hmm, so I'm not crazy. Good.

: But fear not, I've found a great way to fix all of the bugs in all of
: the shells with all environments. If you change all of the machines to
: use the same type of ssh1 or openssh, guess what, no more dying
: core-kicking shells!

Yeah, I noticed that.

[...]
: Matt, tcsh is a good shell for those twisted enough to appreciate it.
: Don't toss tcsh away just yet :-)  A serious answer for this problem
: will come out eventually, if it hasn't already, and I doubt it would
: involve any fixing of tcsh (or bash or csh or...).

I've always used tcsh, I love tcsh, and notice that it was openssh and NOT
tcsh that went on that machine? I would very much like to use OpenSSH, but
it's not worth changing to another shell, so I can typo for the next year
while trying to use tcsh commands, sooooo...
[...]
:
: --
:
: Regards,
:         -*Sue*-
:
: ... Wanna come up and see my core files?

Is that a .sig or an offer? [sorry, couldn't resist =)]

Matt
--
Matt Heckaman [matt@arpa.mail.net|matt@relic.net] [Please do not send me]