Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 11:06:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      pgl@ein.cz
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   utmp not updating

Hi,

I posted to this list once before as a joke; I hope I didn't offend anyone,
but it -was- April 1st :)

I actually have a serious question this time. I'm not sure if it's more
related to X rather than FreeBSD, and if you think it is, please feel
free to tell me to go away.

The problem is that when I exit xterms, /var/run/utmp isn't being updated,
meaning that I still show up on a "w" output or similar command. It looks
like this :

pgl      pi  :0.0             Mon04PM 3days -

I haven't opened that many xterms (and therefore that many ttys) for 3
days, but I still show up. I can clear utmp easily, but it doesn't help -
it happens again when I reach that many xterms.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be, or how to fix it?
I've asked around, looked in newsgroups etc, before turning to this list,
but I can't find the solution.

Here's some system info :

[divny:pgl]:~ $ uname -a
FreeBSD divny.ein.cz 2.2.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE #0: Wed May 13 16:02:12 CEST 1998     pgl@divny.ein.cz:/usr/src/sys/compile/DIVNY  i386

[divny:pgl]:~ $ which xterm
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

[divny:pgl]:~ $ ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  159744 Mar  3 15:31 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

Thanks,

Peter Lowe.

--
European Internet Network, Inc.