Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:30:35 -0500
From:      Bob Hall <rjhjr@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need a good Unix script that..

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 05:56:26AM -0400, bstitt@tsys.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to write a script to delete all line that include a certain
> pattern in an output file. I sending information to one of our Security
> people and they take this data and create a spreadsheet on the
> information, I have a constant reoccurring lines within the output file
> that they do not need. I'm trying to use the sed command to remove lines
> that fits a certain pattern but it does not appear to remove anything.

It can probably be done with sed, but without knowing the specifics of
what you're doing, no one can give a meaningful opinion. I use sed,
grep, and awk all the time, but I can't tell you anything without seeing
your sed statement and a sample file. I'd recommend posting to a forum
where sed is a frequent topic and giving enough information to allow
someone to actually help you.

Someone somewhere maintains a sed FAQ along with a file of 100 sed
statements giving examples of various tasks. I can't remember the URL,
but googling will probably bring it up.

Bob Hall