Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 01:00:24 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Astrodog <astrodog@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Page fault on Tyan K8S Pro (S2882) board

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 09:01:03PM -0800, Astrodog wrote:
> Running 1 DIMM in this kind of setup is
> shooting yourself in the foot. If CPU #1 requests something through CPU
> #0, and we're using 1 bank of memory the whole setup..... performance is
> gonna be crap. Both CPUs will be blocked from processing instructions
> while the request is fulfilled.

That is not at all true -- CPU0 is not blocked because CPU1 is accessing
memory directly attached to CPU0.  The memory controller in an Opteron
operates independently of the CPU cache unit and central processing unit
("core").  All of the the HyperTransport connections (3 of them), the
memory controller, cache unit (2 for dual-core) all attach together thru
a cross-bar switch.

> There are known performance issues with the 4+0 memory config... but
> they're still good if you use 2 or 4 DIMMs.

There aren't performance issues with 4+0 memory configurations -- unless
you also consider it a "performance issue" if one is using DDR333 or
DDR266 memory vs. DDR400.  CPU1 has a higher latency to memory than CPU0,
105ns vs. 70ns; BUT 105ns is still lower than the latency of going thru a
traditional northbridge.

So its all a trade off of where you want to be on the performance curve.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)