Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 1996 18:23:23 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   1.4 Beta 1 release of netatalk

This release compiles and runs "out of the box" with FreeBSD 2.2
-current and any version of such, dated after about Sept 19.

(it will compile with earlier versions too but the kernel
support will have [more] bugs)

It can be found at:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/netatalk-1.4b1.tar.Z
ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/incoming/netatalk-1.4b1.tar.Z
ftp://terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu/unix/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b1.tar.Z

It should be possible to port the netatalk stack from -current back to
2.1.5 with minor work. Just copy /sys/netatalk and fix.

Note that under -current the following support has also been added:
* ifconfig can add atalk addresses to interfaces and can add
  'netranges'

* route can add routes to atalk addresses. I personally haven't tried
  using the machine as an appletalk router so I dont know if that
  works.

* netstat can report on atalk routes, sockets and interface addresses.

full appletalk printer support is included, as well as some
appletalk debugging  support in the form of
(aecho) appletalk version of ping is also present as is
a full set of man pages

by default it installs into /usr/local/atalk/{etc,bin,man,include,lib)
some optimisation for FreeBSD might still be done in this part.

julian