Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 23:27:29 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        Terry Lee <terryl@ienet.com>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, stable@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org, scanner@webspan.net
Subject:   Re: Status of -stable

> That being said, I think we *could* stick with the -stable branch and
> just leave it as John suggested.  If things actually go into -stable,
> it's because the developer does it, and *not* the release engineer.

Well, OK.  Let me see if I can sum up how I think things are all going
to be able to work (and not work) in the future.

If we choose not to kill -stable outright, which is clearly the
easiest decision requiring the least effort (or discussion), then I
see a user-supported -stable as the only real choice.  Moreover, I
would see this as supported by a consortium of folks - the
ISP/developers and other users with a vested interest in -stable
contributing patches and suggestions, and one or more volunteer
commitfolk fielding and commiting these to the stable branch.

Unlike Nate's suggestion, this would NOT be a task we'd expect the
developers to pick up.  Those few developers who've even tried to do
this up to now have eyeballs which are over-strained from trying to
look in two directions at once.  Let's give 'em a break!  This should
be handled by one or at most two people who _really want_ -stable to
live and are willing to slowly dribble patches into it.

We've already been "outsourcing" the job of producing CTM deltas for
-stable to Richard Wackerbarth, why not make all of -stable that way?

						Jordan