Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:39:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard Lucas <rlucas@solidcomputing.com>
To:        jim flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I still can't get my net install to work from CDrom

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, jim flournoy wrote:

> > Well, did you try pressing F1? :-) That's presumably
> > where you
> > installed FreeBSD, and your Drive 1 presumably has a
> > boot record
> > (which you probably installed) but no bootable OS
> > (which is why it
> > shows up simply as "Drive 1" and you can't boot from
> > it).
>
> :) You better I did.  That old IBM responded with a
> warm beep.  Then I pushed every other function key and
> was rewarded with a symphony of monotonous beeps.

I'm having the exact same problem with a machine. I get a menu that says
hit F1 for FreeBSD, or F5 for Drive 0. If I hit F1, it just beeps at me,
if I hit F5, it pops up the menu again except this time saying Drive 1
instead of 0. It will go back and forth like that if I keep hitting F5,
but F1 just beeps at me. I was having problems installing on it, and tried
to use Normal for the boot menu, but just got No operating system after
rebooting or Invalid partition.

The machine is using 2 scsi controllers, 1 is an onboard Adaptec and the
other is a Advansys pci adapter. The drive on the pci card has /, swap,
/tmp, /var, and /usr on it and the drive on the onboard is just /home. I
can install fine if I unhook one of the drives, but with both I can't seem
to get it to work. If you figure it out or have any ideas I'd appreciate
it if you'd let me know.

-Richard