Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:24:04 +0100
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: drm-kmod startup error

On 2/19/19 6:41 AM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 8:36 PM Sid <sid@bsdmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I built and used from packages drm-fbsd11.2-kmod, and it had an error on
>> startup.
>>
>> The errors are:
>> link_elf_obj: symbolic panic undefined
>> link_load_file: Unsupported file type
>> KLD drm.ko: depends on linuxkpi - not available or version mismatch
>> KLD drm.ko: depends on drmn - not available or version mismatch
>> linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
>> kldload: unexpected relocation type 4
>> link_elf_obj: symbol uma_zalloc_arg undefined
>> linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
>>
>> kldload: unexpected relocation type 4 repeats many times.
>>
>> I just rebuilt world and kernel with linux and linx64 modules built for
>> FreeBSD 11.2.
>>
>> It is loaded from rc.conf, with kldlist="amdgpu", others were tried too,
>> "/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko radeonkms"
>>
>> I tried to unset syscons from loader.conf as I read from another thread,
>> hw.syscons.disable=1. sc syscons and VESA are also not installed on my
>> kernel. My console still loads without this, still with Radeon errors. Xorg
>> is also not installed on my computer as I have this error for now. All
>> ports and packes were removed, with a few reinstalled. It worked before
>> upgrading to the changed name drm port.
>>
>>  From the error messages, it looks like the latest drm ports or packages
>> are mismatched with gpu-firmware-kmod or, at least, out of sync with the
>> lin
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Are you running 11.2-RELEASE? A custom kerel config (not GENERIC)? The
> message looks like the kernel module is not in sync with your kernel.

Hi!
As Kevin says, it's very important to keep driver (drm-*-kmod) and
firmware (gpu-firmware-kmod) in sync with the kernel.  If you are using
a release, and running GENERIC, it is enough to download the packages
with pkg and install them, but if you are using a custom kernel, or
running STABLE or CURRENT, then you need to compile the modules
yourself.  The easiest way is usually to run `pkg delete
drm-fbsd11.2-kmod` and then `pkg autoremove` to remove any dependencies,
and then build graphics/drm-kmod from ports.  This is safe to do even if
you are using pre-built packages for the rest of the system.

Regards
--
Niclas Zeising
FreeBSD Graphics Team