Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:24:46 -0700
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Justen Stepka <jstepka@webprogrammers.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: Native J2SE 1.4 update (it's working)

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 11:40:20AM -0500, Justen Stepka wrote:
> Rather than ask all of the usual roapmap questions regarding which build
> required what version of this or that would it be possible to get some type
> of roadmap regarding what is needed and what is coming?

I'm sorry, what do you mean by this ? We're just focused on getting the
basics working reliably and not really concerned with getting a full
production version out just yet. That's the eventual goal of course, but
you have to take it a step at a time...

The logic goes, if the core system is working well, then the things
around it should also be pretty solid... So it's the core systems first.

With a reduced optimization level for gcc and an initial signal handling
fix, 1.4 apparently runs the Java2D demo now. My experience with it last night
is that it still crashes...but i'll give it another shot sometime over the
weekend and track down a couple of potential bugs.

Overall, with the recent work on HotSpot and 1.4, Java under FreeBSD is
starting to look like a first class act for the first time..

bill