Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 15:42:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
Cc:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Fresh postgres95 port

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, David Muir Sharnoff wrote:

> * I will take a look at your port, but I won't be committing it into the
> * repository over the old one.  I suggest that you work with the current
> * maintainer (matt@bdd.net) instead of just taking a 'I can do it better
> * attitude' to fixing problems.  If everyone did that, we'd have another
> * OpenBSD on our hands.  8-)
[...]
> I just want it fixed.  As long as I was fixing, it I figured I would share
> my work.

I'm not sure if James was entirely joking with the OpenBSD reference...
One of the factors in the formation of OpenBSD was a refusal to co-operate
with a (new) port maintainer...  (I'll admit that this's being somewhat
simplistic, but...)

As for the port working with -STABLE, the directory ports-current is
called ports-current for a reason.  Making a port backwards-compatible can
be a definately bad-thing (IMO)...

My suggestion would be not to change a port-current to work with -STABLE
or -RELEASE, but rather throw it into some directory like ports-stable.
Or, possibly, create and maintain a compatability library that can make
some bsd.port.mk-old work with a -current port.  (....actually, as I think
about it, that's an interesting idea that's probably not as hard as it
sounds initially)

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk