Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:10:57 -0400
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
Cc:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSH, Sessions, Connections from the outside.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 01:28:06PM -0400, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> Im using ipfilter.
> I do have ICMP traffic blocked.  I believe from the logs that
> 198.107.27.228 was you pinging me.
> But I haven't changed the ruleset in months.  Can't see why that is the
> problem, because
> all the people who are trying to connect to the box, get the login
> prompt, but after they enter the user/pass
> they get a session pasword box to enter a session password.  Something I
> don't get from inside the lan.
> My IP is 68.39.132.244.  As far as the firewall is concerned.  Port 22
> is open.  Here is my ruleset ->

[snip]
> Linh Pham wrote:
>
> >On 2002-08-29, Gerard Samuel scribbled:
> >
> ># Hey all.  I used to have people connect to my firewall box using a
> ># windows prog called WinSCP.
> ># I guess with the recent changes with ssh/scp family they are unable to
> ># connect to it.
> ># They keep getting an option to enter a session password.
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> ># If you don't mind, and if you have access to WinSCP or something
> ># similar, can you try connecting to ->
> ># www.trini0.org:22
> ># username/pass: developer/awol
> >#
> ># to help me figure out what I need to do to resolve my problem.
> >
> >I am unable to ping the machine nor am I able to get a port scan on the
> >machine. Is your firewall ruleset set to deny all incoming traffic? Make
> >suire that you allow the necessary ports and possibly ICMP traffic
> >through. Just to confirm that the hostname points to the right IP
> >address, trini0.org and www.trini0.org are resolving to 68.39.132.244.
> >
> >Which firewall program (ipfw/ipfilter, pf, etc.) are you using? Thanks.
> >
> >--
> >
> >Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
> >Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org
> >closedsrc.org                       Every solution breeds new problems
> >

> --
> Gerard Samuel
> http://www.trini0.org:81/
> http://dev.trini0.org:81/

Well, I just had a look at it, and using SSH v1, I get:

  Password:
  Response:_

I'm using _ to represent where the cursor stops, if that's not obvious.
Pressing Enter moves on to a normal-looking prompt:

  developer@www.trini0.org's password:_

With SSH v2, I get:

  Password:_

I'd suggest looking into "ChallengeResponseAuthentication" in your SSH
config, as well as turning on the server's debug output and having
someone (anyone--you, a friend, or a user) try from outside.

FYI, I'm in the 128.205 netblock. It's a dialup, so don't bother trying
to crack me ;)

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime)    :