Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:28:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Marcia Perry <mperry@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Marcia Perry wrote:

> Hi,
> I added the Hauppage win/TV card to my PC.
> I know I need to make this entry in my GENERIC
> file:    "device bktr0"
> I also know I need to do a MAKEDEV.  Question:
> what value do I specify?  i.e., is this correct?
>      # sh MAKEDEV bktr0

Correct.

> Generally speaking, does one use the same device
> value in the GENERIC file as on the MAKEDEV line
> (e.g., bktr0)?

More or less, it depends on the device (some drivers have multile device
instances, like cuaa/ttyd for the sio driver).

> I also have an AW35 Pro Audio card (someone else
> did the installation).  I was told to make this
> entry in GENERIC:    device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags \
> 0x15 vector pcmintr
>
> If this is correct, then do I do:
>    # sh MAKEDEV pcm0
> ??

Actually, its

./MAKEDEV snd0

snd0 was the name of he old sound driver. If your card is PnP, you'll need
to modify MAKEDEV to remove the if X ... .endif block from around the
block of symlinks in the snd) section.

> The Boca I/0650 card was installed.  I assume this
> gives me serial ports COM1 - COM4.  If this is true,
> and my entries in GENERIC are:
>
> device sio0 at isa? port "IO_CM
> I mean:
> device sio0 at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
> device sio1 at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
>
> These look good or no?
>
> For COM3 and COM4, I presently have:
>
> device sio2 at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
> device sio3 at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr
>
> Should these entries be changed?  To what?

Is the Boca a multiport board?  If so, read the sio manpage for special
instructions.

Doug White