Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 09:58:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to eliminate long pauses and/or net dialling at login?

Whenever I boot my machine and login for the first time (whether I login
as root or my own personal account), I either get a LONG pause (right
after the motd prints out, and right before my .login/.cshrc is
executed).  And since I recently got dial-on-demand PPP set up, the PPP
connection also dials out during this long pause.

This is kinda annoying, to say the least, and I would like to eliminate
the long pauses and net dialing right after login, if possible.

Has this something to do with syslog trying to send messages out through
the network, when a user logs in?  I thought so, so I tried "turning off"
syslogd (I commented-out the line that starts syslogd in /etc/rc), but
that did not do the trick.

Has it something to do with the fact that I'm using tcsh as my login
shell?

Basically, what I'm trying to find out is, "What is going on here?" and
"How can I fix it?"

I apologize for the vagueness of my questions and my problem description,
but to tell you the truth, that's all I know about it.

Any response (by e-mail and/or to the mailing list) is greatly
appreciated.  Thanks!

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 // FAX 564-2315 // WWW http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dburr
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **